Family Student Housing Postdoctoral & Visiting Scholars
If the university classifies you as a Postdoctoral Fellow or Visiting Scholar (PD/VS), then you are welcome to apply for Family Student Housing (East and West Village only.) You may apply as single, living with family member(s), spouse or domestic partner. Please note that we are allowing single PD/VS to apply together to live as roommates in our East Village townhouses only. Please consult the Housing Office if you are interested in having a roommate.
To prove your eligibility, please submit, along with your FSH application and other pertinent documents, an appointment letter from your UC Berkeley department indicating the start and end dates of your appointment. We will also require you to register with the Visiting Scholars Postdoc Affairs Program (VSPA: https://vspa.berkeley.edu) and to submit your VSPA registration form.**
**NOTE: LBNL members are not required to register with VSPA.
Please understand that students receive housing priority over PD/VS. PD/VS are accommodated after students are offered housing. Please refer to the priority list below:
- Single (unpartnered) students with children.
- Married or partnered students with children.
- Single (unpartnered) student under the age of 18, dependent and living with parent or guardian.
- Single (unpartnered) students with a dependent over 18.
- Married or partnered students without children.
- Single (unpartnered) re-entry student and graduate students (eligible for 1 bedroom apartments only)
- Post-doctoral fellowsl/Visiting Scholars married or partnered, with children
- Post-doctoral fellows/Visiting Scholars married or partnered, without children
- Single Post Docs/Visiting scholars (eligible for 1 bedroom apartments only)
- Married, partnered, and single non-tenured new faculty and lecturers
** We also recommend looking elsewhere for housing besides FSH since it is not guaranteed. We suggest checking out Cal Rentals, which can aide you in looking for housing in the private market. They provide listings and guidance to help you find the housing right for you. Their website is https://calrentals.housing.berkeley.edu/ and their phone is (510) 642-3644.**
PD/VS are allowed to stay in FSH until June 30 following their first 12 months of occupancy, or until their appointment end date, whichever occurs first. Please be advised that occupancy in Family Student Housing may not be contiguous with your University appointment.