Eligibility and Conditions of Tenancy
The University of California offers one Family Student Housing (FSH) site: Albany. Over the years, University Village, Albany has become an active, supportive community for students juggling family and educational responsibilities. A month-to-month rental agreement is required.
A resident of FSH must be one of the following:
A registered UC Berkeley student (undergraduate or graduate) and be:
- single and living with child(ren) under the age of 18 or dependent minor(s) for at least 50% of the year¹
- single and under the age of 18, dependent and living with parent or guardian
- single and living with a dependent over the age of 18²
- married, partnered or in a committed relationship and living with child(ren) or dependent minor(s)under the age of 18 for at least 50% of the year
- couples, married and living with a spouse; or unmarried and living with a partner or couples in a committed relationship without children
- single and a graduate or re-entry student (eligible for 1-bedroom apartments only)
- Policy for New Freshman/Transfer Students
A Postdoctoral Fellow or a Visiting Scholar (PD/VS):
Postdoctoral Fellows and Visiting Scholars (VSPA), with a valid UCB ID or LBL ID, are offered apartments when there are no students on the wait list and only for vacancies in East Village Apartments (EVA), and West Village Apartments (WVA). Click on this link for more information on VSPA registration.
¹ A single-parent or guardian must have custody at least 50% of the year. Proof of custody for biological parents includes a Custody Agreement and/or preschool or school enrollment verification. Proof of custody for non-parent guardianship would include a statement from the biological parents as to how the guardian provides support, an affidavit or a notarized statement of legal guardianship, a Medical Power of attorney, preschool or school enrollment verification.
² Dependent over 18 applies to a parent or child(ren) where the student provides a documented family need (e.g. financial, medical), not just a convenience.
The following guidelines will be observed before an apartment is assigned:
- All family members must be in residence from the beginning of tenancy
- At least one adult must be registered in a degree program at the University of California at Berkeley
- Persons who have been evicted from Family Student Housing or have previously breached a University rental agreement will be considered unacceptable for future tenancy