2650 Durant Avenue
Cheney, Deutsch, Freeborn, Putnam Halls, and Christian and Slottman Mini Suites
The Unit 1 complex consists of six buildings built around a large courtyard and a central building that contains the unit office, mail services, and rooms for meetings, events, and parties, and the Academic Services Center.
- Located 1 block from campus.
- Four of the six buildings are highrise halls (Cheney, Deutsch, Freeborn and Putnam) that feature:
- Eight floors of double- and triple-occupancy rooms, some doubles and triples in Suites. (Single rooms are reserved for upper division students and students with disabilities.)
- Approximately 230 students in each hall.
- Rooms have extra long twin beds, dressers, desks, mirrors, shelving, and closets.
- Rooms have high-speed internet connections.
- Some rooms have a bay view.
- Most floors are coed with one large coed bathroom per floor.
- Single sex floors are available.
- Floor lounges with balconies.
- Main lounge on entry level.
- Freeborn Hall is designated as a Substance Free Environment (see below).
- The mini-suite buildings, Christian and Slottman Halls, feature:
- Coed & Single Gender Floors
- Single, Double, Triple Rooms, Double Rooms and Triple Rooms in Suite
(Single rooms are reserved for upper division students and students with disabilities.)
- Double & Triple Room Mini-Suites
- Live-In Staff
- Security Monitor Program
- Laundry facilities
- Access to the Unit's Academic Services Center, with PC and MAC workstations, laser printers, and hookup to the Campus Network and the Internet.
- Access to a small, central fitness facility
- Crossroads is the nearest dining center, only a half block away
Freeborn Hall is a Substance Free Environment
Freeborn Hall, one building in the Unit 1 complex, is designated as a Substance-Free Environment. Residents actively agree to keep the community free of smoke, alcohol, and drugs. They plan and host substance-free programs, events, and activities.
Disabled Students' Residence Program (DSRP)
The DSRP is sponsored by the University and the State Department of Rehabilitation. The program provides students with experienced staff to assist with personal care while students are developing their independent learning skills. The Housing Office works closely with the DSRP to accommodate students with disabilities. Some residence hall rooms are modified for physically, hearing, and visually impaired students.
For more information, write or call the
Disabled Students Program
230 Cesar Chavez Student Center #4250
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-4250
voice: (510) 642-0518 or TDD: (510) 642-6376
No Smoking Policy
University of California, Berkeley is committed to providing a healthy, smoke-free environment for students, faculty and staff. Accordingly, no smoking is permitted in student rooms, or inside buildings, including lounges, balconies and breezeways, and stairways. Smoking is only permitted outside in designated areas.
Academic Services Center: Unit 1
Reshall Peer Advisors: Unit 1