You’ve made the right decision to accept a housing contract for the Residence Halls at UC Berkeley. This web page should answer most of your questions about arriving in Berkeley.

If you need further information:
Call (510) 642-3213, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For housing questions, contact:
Cal Housing Assignments Office
at (510) 642-4108.
Phone hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Walk-in hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.


When Can I Move In?

Can I move in early or late?

What if I get to my residence hall after hours?

Can I ship some of my possessions to my room before Move-in Day?

Can I, as the parent (or relative or friend who assisted with move-in), spend the night in my student's residence hall?

What’s In My Room?

What Will I Need For My Room?

Can I Bring My Own Refrigerator and/or Microwave?

Where Do I Go?

What Will Parking Be Like on Move-In Day?

How Do I Get A Parking Permit?

How Do I Move My Belongings?

Are There Live-In Staff Members?

What About Academic Support?

How Do I Set Up My Internet Connection in My Room?

What About Safety and Security in the Residence Halls?

What About My Telephone Service? What is the Telcom Fee?

What is a Cal 1 Card?

How Will I Get My Meals?

What Medical Precautions Do I Need To Take Before I Come to Campus?


When Can I Move In?
Students assigned to triple and quad rooms (including suites and mini-suites) can begin moving in at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 24. All other students can begin moving in on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 10 a.m. <top>

Can I Move in Early or Late?
There are no early move-in's. You can move in late, although you may miss some valuable orientation and programming. <top>

What if I Get to My Residence Hall After Hours?
Go to the front desk of the Unit and they will assist you. If you arrive very late (after midnight), you will need to call the staff person on call. Follow the instructions posted on the main door of the Unit office. <top>

Can I Ship Some of My Possessions to My Room Before Move-in Day?
UC Berkeley does not allow you to ship your belongings before you move in. However, Residential Student Service Programs (RSSP) has partnered with Storage and Moving Center to help make your transition and move a little easier, whether you are moving in or moving out. Storage and Moving Center will pick up your boxed belongings from addresses in the Bay Area, store them and redeliver them to your residence once you are moved in. You can also ship your items to Storage and Moving Center if you live outside of the Bay Area. To make a reservation or for more information, visit www.StudentStorageCenter.com or call 1-800-586-3020


Can I, as the Parent (or relative or friend who assisted with move-in), Spend the Night in My Student's Residence Hall?
No, you will need to stay at a hotel. Visit Cal Rentals hotel link for more information: https://calrentals.housing.berkeley.edu/

What’s in My Room?
Rooms are furnished with extra-long twin single beds and/or bunk beds, mattress pads, desks, chairs, and drawer space for each student. They also include closets, mirrors, wastebaskets, bookshelves, general lighting, and curtains. Unless you are in a single room, you will be sharing with at least one other person. Do not bring extra furniture and bulky things — at least until you’ve settled in and had a chance to determine what you really need. <top>

What Will I Need for My Room?

• Extra-long, twin size sheets (80")
• Towels and wash cloth
• Pillow and pillow cases
• Blankets, comforter or bedspread
• Telephone
• Clothes hangers
• Desk lamp (NOT HALOGEN)
• Key or combination lock
• Shower sandals
• Plate, cup and a set of utensils
• Bathroom supplies (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
• Laundry supplies (basket, detergent, fabric softener, etc.)
• Umbrella
• Alarm clock
• School supplies (backpack, notebooks, binders, paper, pencils, pens, erasers, ruler, etc.)

MOVE-IN TIPS: If you bring your own hand truck, your move will be easier.


SHOP ONLINE NOW AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BED, BATH AND BEYOND'S FREE SHIPPING OFFER THROUGH THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - BERKELEY'S UNIQUE WEBSITE: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/btsUniversity2012.asp?univ=berkeley&. This offer requires you to use your exclusive promo code when you check out: CALB0034 and you must SHOP BEFORE MAY 1ST, 2013.

*Please note: due to safety concerns, halogen lights are not permitted.
Housekeeping services are provided in common areas only. We do not clean your room during the semester. A vacuum is available for use in your room, and you may want to bring a few cleaning supplies like a spray cleaner and sponge. Free basic cable TV hookup is available in all rooms. <top>

Can I Bring My Own Refrigerator and/or Microwave?
Residents living in the residence halls who wish to have a refrigerator, microwave or combination unit in their room must rent these appliances from UC Berkeley’s approved vendor Micro 101 Solutions, Inc. If you reserve by the vendor's stated "due date," the rented appliance will be placed in you room prior to move-in.  Personal microwaves, refrigerators and/or combination units are not allowed.<top>

Where Do I Go?
From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
Go directly to the unit to which you have been assigned. Staff will be there to welcome you and give you your room assignment and more information. After 5 p.m. staff may not be immediately available to assist you.

Bowles Hall
Stadium Rim Way and Gayley Road • (510) 642-9703 (Go to Foothill to check in)

Clark Kerr Campus
2601 Warring Street • (510) 642-6290

Foothill Student Housing
2700 Hearst Avenue • (510) 642-9703

Stern Hall
Hearst Avenue and Highland Place • (510) 642-9703 (Go to Foothill to check in)

Unit 1
2650 Durant Avenue • (510) 642-3141

Unit 2
2650 Haste Street • (510) 642-3143

Unit 3
2400 Durant Avenue • (510) 642-5391

Martinez Commons
2520 Channing Way •

After 5 p.m.: You can check in by going to your assigned unit’s office, examining the duty schedule that is posted on the front door, and contacting the staff member who will check you in. <top>

What Will Parking Be Like on Move-In Day?

Parking Locations:

Units 1, 2 and 3:
Street parking: There are metered spaces around Units 1, 2 and 3. Metered spaces are regularly monitored by Parking Enforcement Officers. Please read all signs posted at the meter regarding cost and time limit.

Permit lot: There is one University owned lot near Units 1 and 2, Underhill Parking structure located at the corner of Channing Way and College with entries on Channing Way and Haste Street. You can purchase a $10 daily parking permit.

Foothill, Stern, and Bowles:
Street parking: There are some street-parking options. Please read all posted parking signs regarding time limits. These spaces are regularly monitored by Parking Enforcement Officers. Permit lot: there is one University owned lot near Foothill, upper Hearst Lot.

Clark Kerr Campus:
Street parking: There is usually plenty of street parking available; however, please be sure to read all posted parking signs regarding time limits. These spaces are regularly monitored by Parking Enforcement Officers.

For more information about parking, please contact the housing administrative office for the unit you are assigned:

Unit 1 Administration Desk: 510-642-3141
Unit 2 Administration Desk: 510-642-3143
Unit 3 Administration Desk: 510-642-5391
Bowles, Foothill and Stern Halls Administration Desk: 510-642-9703
Clark Kerr Campus Administration Desk: 510-642-6290

The Parking & Transportation website (pt.berkeley.edu/) will be useful to you. Please view the University owned public parking maps prior to arriving (http://pt.berkeley.edu/maps). This will allow you the opportunity to plan ahead. <top>

How Do I Get a Parking Permit?
Students are discouraged from bringing a car from campus. If a student brings a car to campus, he or she must contact Parking and Transportation (pt.berkeley.edu) about obtaining a parking permit.

How Do I Move My Belongings?
The best way to get you and your belongings here is to have your parents or a friend bring you. Berkeley’s central location makes it accessible to most shipping companies. They vary in terms of what they will ship (electronics, bicycles, fragile items) and the maximum size and weight.

Some carriers will hold the items you ship for one or more days at a nominal charge. A few deliver directly to your hall. Be sure to allow time to arrange for getting your belongings from the shipping destination to your room. Reservations and/or prepayment may be required. Insurance may also be offered. Check what is available in your area.

We are unable to accept any packages arriving prior to move-in day, and we cannot allow shipping companies direct access to student spaces. You must be moved in and then give them access to your room following all guest guidelines. <top>

Are There Live-In Staff Members?
Each residence hall complex is coordinated by a Resident Director, a professional staff member who oversees the residential program in their living community. Each hall or area within the unit is staffed with well trained and enthusiastic student staff who serve as resident assistants, theme program advisors, program assistants, and security coordinators. See http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/student/osd_res_living.html for more information. They assist with the residents’ educational and social activities and help maintain community standards.

The primary goal of the Office of Student Development staff is to facilitate the formation of a community that encourages academic success and cultural development of students living in the University residence halls and family housing. This purpose extends beyond merely providing basic needs such as food and shelter; it also encourages the development of active living and learning environments.

What Kind of Academic Support is Available in the Residence Halls?
Academic Services Centers exist in Units 1, 2, and 3; Foothill (Hillside, La Loma, Bowles and Stern); Clark Kerr Campus and Martinez Commons. Services provided by Academic Services Centers include tutoring, computing centers, faculty programs, courses, and advising. Also available are study strategies workshops, quiet study areas, learning resources and opportunities for student involvement. All computing centers have Macintosh and IBM/PC compatible computers running the latest software applications.

For additional Academic Services Center information, visit their website or call:

How Do I Set Up My Internet Connection in My Room?
The department of Residential Computing (or ResComp) provides high-speed Internet to all residents of campus housing. An Ethernet port is available in each room or apartment (one per resident). Wireless connectivity is also available throughout most residence hall locations, with the exception of apartments (where wi-fi is available in study lounges and common spaces only).

To get connected, you must plug in to an available Ethernet port in your room OR connect to the "RESCOMP" wireless network, complete ResComp's online registration process, and attend Cal Connect orientation during move-in.

ResComp also provides direct technical support and troubleshooting to all residents. To learn more about these services and about setting up your Internet connection, visit rescomp.berkeley.edu.


What About Safety and Security in the Residence Halls?
We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for students in the residence halls. There are Security Monitor Programs in place at Units 1, 2, and 3, Stern Hall, Clark Kerr Campus, Foothill and Martinez Commons.

Security Monitors are student staff who have been hired to work in the residence halls. Their main responsibilities include signing in guests and monitoring the safety of the buildings.

UCPD Programs & Services
the University of California Police Department offers a variety of campus programs and safety services.

Bear WALK (Night Escort Service)
is available to students by calling 642-WALK. Uniformed, radio-equipped and trained student employees of UCPD, Community Service Officers (CSOs), provide a walking escort to nearby residences, public transportation or parking facilities.

The Night Walking Routes on the central campus have been identified as the most frequented and well-lighted paths to use at night. Students and staff are strongly encouraged to use them and to walk with friends at night. A map showing these routes will be provided at check-in.

Night Safety Shuttles is a shuttle bus service which offers safe transport to and from campus during the evenings in the fall and FALL semesters. The Night Safety Map with routes and stop locations will be available at check-in. <top>

What is the Telecom Fee?
Most rooms have at least one active telephone jack connected to the University's telephone network where basic telephone service is provided. Active line connections provide emergency 911 access and communications during an emergency. A telecom service fee of $40 will be charged per semester to all residents living in University housing. This one-time charge each semester is billed to your CARS account. (The price is subject to change.)

The telecom fee for all students living at Clark Kerr Campus and Martinez Commons will be waived. CKC students will be part of a pilot project that saves the resident the $32 per semester fee for landline telephone service. There will be phone jacks in the student rooms; however, students will not be required to have them activated. Students who choose to have them activated may do so for a fee paid directly to AT&T. Standard AT&T residential rates will apply. There will be house (emergency) phones in the hallways or near student rooms for use in emergencies or to call on campus.


What is a Cal 1 Card?
The Cal 1 Card is your campus identification card, used for your meal plan, your library card, your debit card and many other campus resources. The Cal 1 Card can also be used at off campus resources as well. If you haven't already gotten your Cal 1 Card, you will need to get it after checking into your unit. For more information about your Cal 1 Card, please visit cal1card.berkeley.edu or email cal1card@berkeley.edu.

The Cal 1 Card Office is located at 180 Cesar Chavez Center, Lower Sproul Plaza

Hours of Operations: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. <top>

How Will I Get My Meals?
Your meal plan will be automatically loaded on your Cal 1 Card, which is your student identification card.

For meal plan information, meal plan FAQ, locations, hours and menus, please visit our website at http://caldining.berkeley.edu. Questions? E-mail us at dining@berkeley.edu. <top>

What Medical Precautions Do I Need to Take Before Coming to Campus?
Each year many students lose valuable class time because of preventable illness. Before you come to Berkeley, there are a number of ways you can plan ahead to avoid or minimize illness. Hepatitis B vaccination is required as a condition of enrollment. The California State Legislature has mandated that first-time enrollees at the University of California who are under 19 years of age on August 29, 2013, provide proof of immunization against Hepatitis B as a condition of enrollment. The vaccine is a series of three doses. To assure compliance and protect your enrollment status, see "Hepatitis B" at uhs.berkeley.edu/students/immunization/hepatitisb.shtml and mail the form to the address indicated by August 29, 2013.

Update your other immunizations.
In addition to the standard pediatric immunization series and the Hepatitis B requirement explained above, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American College Health Association (ACHA) recommend:

  • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses at least one month apart if born after 1956
  • Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses one month apart if you have never had chicken pox or if a blood test does not show immunity
  • Tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pertussis (Tdap) given as a single dose to replace the next booster dose of Tetanus/diptheria (Td) if the last dose of Td was >10 years earlier.
  • Meningococcal meningitis vaccine - ACHA and the ACIP recommend meningococcal vaccination for college freshmen living in dormitories, other high risk persons and those wishing to reduce their risk of meningococcal disease (see http://www.uhs.berkeley.edu/home/healthtopics/meningitis.shtml for more information).

Plan for chronic conditions.
If you have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, asthma or cancer, you may want to obtain a health summary from your recent health care provider(s) and bring it with you to campus. It will help the staff at University Health Service (UHS), located in the Tang Center, provide the best care possible. We recommend that you select a Tang Center Primary Care Provider and make an appointment soon after your arrival on campus to establish care and share this information.

Bring enough of your ongoing medications for the first month of school and a copy of your prescription. Plan ahead for refills.

Bring a first-aid kit, and make sure it includes a thermometer and ibuprofen or tylenol.

Know how your medical plan works.
Health insurance is a condition of enrollment for UC students. Cal students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), and charged the SHIP fee on the campus E-Bill, unless they show that they have comparable coverage through another plan. Students may waive enrollment in SHIP by completing an online waiver form by January 15, 2013 (see www.uhs.berkeley.edu/ShouldIWaive). SHIP covers services at UHS as well as emergency room visits, hospitalization, mental health care and off campus specialty services. SHIP also includes dental coverage.

Students who do not have SHIP should carry their insurance card with them at all times, and have easy access to a summary of their plan's benefits.

All students may use UHS services, regardless of whether they have SHIP or another health plan.

For Insurance information call the Student Health Insurance Office at (510) 642-5700.

To reach University Health Services, call (510) 642-2000 (TTY/TDD for the hearing impaired at (510) 643-1233).
Check out www.uhs.berkeley.edu <top>